Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Lucy is well-groomed

We gave Lucy her first bath last night - as you can tell from the picture, she totally loved it! I will say this - wet babies are very slippery! I'm sure Lucy got a kick out of us trying to juggle her slippery little body, the camcorder, a camera, a towel and various grooming implements all at the same time. The good news is that she survived the whole experience. The better news is that the doctor says she only needs two baths a week - so I have three days to recover before I have to try again.

Once Lucy was clean, Brian decided that she could use a manicure and set about trimming her nails. This is another terrifying baby grooming activity that no one tells you about until you already have the baby and there's no one left but you to provide the service. We waited until Lucy was totally zonked out, and then Brian got to it. Lucy never even woke up...I watched the whole thing with a mixture of fear and fascination.

First - the nail file. Every girl knows that ragged edges are a total bummer!

Next, the trimming. Please note the lights on the nail clippers - these are specially designed to be used by nervous parents of squirmy babies, and possibly by anyone who lives deep inside a coal mine.

More light-up nail grooming action.


And, finally...a little touch-up of the very fashionable baby hairdo. Again, you can see that Lucy was slightly dissatisfied with her spa experience, but since she went right back to sleep after the hair combing was finished, I guess she has forgiven us. For now.

3 comments:

  1. So are you totally in awe or what? She's absolutely beautiful and I'm jealous you have a little girl and get to dress her up in little pink frilly things. and BTW, the nail thing is horrible. I only cut Zach's once because I cut his little tiny finger so bad...it's been a Daddy job ever since. Sheesh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are in awe...it's crazy! And, the number of pink outfits is so numerous that I'm not actually sure she'll be able to wear them all before she moves to the next size. It's crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maya has outfits she never wore, and dozens she only wore once. So sad! I hope we have another girl so they get some wear. I love the lighted nail clippers--what a great idea. The clipping gets easier. I made Maya bleed the first time and it was seriously traumatic. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete